Desktop, Legos, and a Librarian
I took a picture of my desktop today because I found a new friend. He's sitting on the cabinet behind my monitor. He can keep Tux company. Tux is the little Linux mascot that sits on any of my active windows. FYI, I'm running Gentoo Linux 2.6.14 with a KDE 3.4 desktop. I also connect to my other Windows XP computer through a remote desktop connection. On that computer I'm running Litestep, a replacement shell (the windows environment you interact with) in lieu of Windows Explorer, just to try it out. I was getting tired of Windows Explorer but Litestep is still rough around the edges, e.g. no drag and drop. I might try to tweak it some more.
I don't think I put up this legos picture. It's a Star Wars B-wing that Oscar got me for my birthday. Neat. Christina and I put it together. She loves legos. I think she had even more fun putting it together that I did.On another note, there was a librarian in Massachusetts near Brandeis University that made FBI agents obtain a warrant before they could take library computers to investigate a terrorist threat. I thought that was laudable. I can understand the urgency of getting the information but people's rights just seem to be getting trampled left and right in this country these days.


3 Comments:
At Sat Feb 04, 11:46:00 AM 2006,
Anonymous said…
My roommate my freshman year in college joined the FBI in the Cybercrime Division, and recently left because he became disillusioned with the amount of bureaucracy they had to deal with when trying to nail criminals. Stuff like waiting weeks to get a warrant for computers when the evidence would have been deleted by the time they got to it. Something to think about. Cybercrime is pretty new, and yet they treat it like a traditional crime scene that can wait days and days with nothing changing.
At Sat Feb 04, 11:32:00 PM 2006,
eltzjy said…
That's why I can understand the urgency some. Cybercrime is different. What would you suggest then? There is some sort of retroactive warrant, no? There was also an interesting comment among many on the story on Slashdot about whether someone would even recognize a warrant. I wonder what FBI credentials even look like.
At Sat Feb 18, 09:36:00 AM 2006,
Anonymous said…
Desktop Legos
http://www.ericharshbarger.org/lego/desk.html
Post a Comment
<< Home